Skip to main content

Georgia...was on our minds

Hey there... Long time! I know.

If you could have seen the blue-markered kitchen calendar for March, you would understand why I've hardly been here. And then, there was my parents' 50th anniversary surprise party, which had been in the planning for almost a year. (It was awesome!)

And then....Spring Break, which had us traveling south to Tybee Island, Georgia!



...in the car. Through Virginia, North Carolina, [South of the Border (tourist trap), which is like a state unto itself], South Carolina and into Georgia.



Crossing this bridge into Savannah.



And onto Tybee Island. This would be the Tybee Island Lighthouse
on the north end of the island. We stayed on the south end.

Tybee Island is the backdrop for the new Miley Cyrus movie, "The Last Song." I'm sure the presence of a movie crew and stars made this small beach community jump last year. The movie opened the weekend we were there, though I don't recall seeing a movie house on the island.



But there was definitely an ocean!



And a cool (honestly, quite cold!) surf...



And the building of many long and winding trenches, water pools and sandcastles.






We discovered real moats built around nearby Fort Pulaski.



...complete with underground passageways,



above-ground turf walks to view the nearby waters that harbored the enemy (Civil War), and a mid-level journey through the cavernous rooms housing cannons, ammo and officers' quarters.





(It looks like you could bake a pizza in there!)



A tour of the grounds off the fort, via a 2-mile trail, led us to the lighthouse of Cockspur Island at low tide (and lots of washed-up jellyfish--ew....).



We spent a lovely morning driving and walking through historic downtown Savannah. I'm convinced that there are "moss fairies" who come in the middle of the night and laden the trees with this special airy dust! It's classic old-time South!!



And the flowers were popping everywhere! (Little did I know that things were also exploding back home here in Central VA....)



Besides the beach, the girls also enjoyed the (again, frigid!) waters of the pool at the rental condo where we stayed. It had a huge square hot tub, which was usually filled with kids (who couldn't take the (again, frigid!) water temperature of the pool.



CJ enjoyed a walk on the pier (and R found some good fish tacos
during a weekend Seafood Festival).



And both braved a ferris wheel ride at a carnival set up in the hotel parking lot across the street from our unit. (Thankfully, the festivities didn't go much beyond 10 p.m.)



RJ2 chased the gulls.



I chased after decent photos of tropical plants I won't ever grow here.



And we had a whole lotta fun in the sun (with our 50 SPF sunscreen and/or clothing!)



And when the sun came up a week later--seems the sun didn't take much of a vacation while we were there--it was time to drive home.

* * *

I've got to say that I'm spending more time over at In-Between Time these days. Catch fresh blog posts every Wednesday (except last week when we didn't have Internet at our place--oops!) over there (link at the top of this blog).

Comments

Kelly said…
Looks like a great trip!!!! Love your hat! I can't wait to catch up next week, God willing and everyone stay healthy!
My ADHD Me said…
Your pictures are awesome!! I tried to decide on my favorites. The sunset was GORGEOUS but I always prefer to people pics. My faves are the 2 heads bobbing out of the water and the one of RJ and the seagulls.

I bet you all had a spectacular time!

Looking forward to our "make-up" lunch.
Have a wonderful day!!!!!!!
Sue J. said…
My husband took quite a few of these shots, including the sunrise. That is definitely one of my favorites from the trip.
Edie said…
I Love the pictures! And your new header is great too! So "browniful". :)

I used to take Nikki to the beach almost every weekend when we lived in CA and we always made sand castles. That's my kind of sport. :)

Glad you had a great time and made it home safely!
Looks like you all had an awesome trip, refreshing for the family and soul. I LOVE the pictures, but I especially love the expression on your face in the picture of you and your girls. Very sunshine-y and happy! :) So glad you all had the chance to escape for a little while!
KelliGirl said…
Sue J.,
I love the pictures from your trip! I've never been to Savannah or Tybee Island and both look wonderful...especially Savannah and those fairy-decorated trees and foliage.
It looks like the J's had a great time and made some special family memories.
Talk to you soon,
Kelli

Popular posts from this blog

On this Merry Christmas Night....

Merry Christmas, blog friends! I know you're wondering, "Did she finish painting her family room (finally....)??" (Nope!) * * * D oesn't this look like how our days are sometimes? Myriad things scattered about, unfinished. Trying to take a cozy, restful seat by the fire, but still that seat stays empty. We try to make things brighter, but the light strings don't quite have the power to make things clear for us. And we wonder how many coats it will take to cover up what had been there before, without splotches and unevenness. (Three may just be right--sigh....!) * * * We may have things unfinished. We may have "miscalculated" the use of our time. Or perhaps we were called away to other things for which we were needed, even if they weren't part of our plans. Even in our peaceful approach to Christmas, that seat of rest may be vacant. But the opportunity to "Be still...." doesn't always lie in a cozy sea

When I was 45....

I t was a very good year! (Yep, celebrating again! I hijacked my own blog--LOL!) The glass is half full, and things have never looked more browniful! Awesome day on tap.... sunshine, take-out barbecue for dinner, cake.... Thanks for celebrating with me! Enjoy.... ( Let it rise....One of my all-time favorite praise songs! )

Post #100

L ong before we bloggers celebrated our first 100 posts, the psalmists provided us with theirs. In recognition of my 100th, let's celebrate by looking at the Bible's "Post #100" (a.k.a., Psalm 100, A Psalm for Thanksgiving or Thank Offering): Make a joyful noise unto the LORD, all ye lands. Surprisingly, there is no direct Hebrew translation for the English word 'joyful' as used in this verse in the King James Version. That leaves things a bit open to interpretation. My study Bible (NASB) says 'joyful' is "a shout of loyalty and homage." The dictionary defines 'joy' with the word rejoicing, meaning "to be made glad again." 'Noise,' however, does come with a Hebrew equivalent, meaning "to split the ears with sound," as in to shout, shout for joy. Lands implies all the earth, the nations, the world. We, those of all nations, are to present to the Lord, out of our loyalty and homage to Him, joyful shouts that