Skip to main content

35 "Measures" and Counting

If it weren't for the date on the newspaper clipping, I'd forget that I have an anniversary to celebrate.


August 1978--35 years ago, I picked up handbells for the first time ever.

It was the year in between 8th grade and freshman year of high school. Not exactly the time when you think about taking on new things, other than your course schedule. Graduation had just marked the end of a huge year--first term paper in English; Confirmation class; playing on the school's inaugural girls softball team; algebra; yearbook staff; a pool party with friends. But, a call came in to break up the summer of "life on pause."

The woman who had directed the Junior Choir at our church called to talk with my mom. Bettye Lee had served this choir for years, embracing kids in that challenging "approaching and into middle school age" with a combination of humor, strictness and, always, professionalism--or, as close to that as you get with this age of kid. I was fortunate to have participated in two musical productions under her leadership, not to mention weekly rehearsals and many opportunities singing in church.

Our time together might have been longer had she not followed her husband in taking a work-related leave of absence from the country and moving to England for a time. I still remember on the night of her farewell party begging my mom to take me, and then eating too many fig bars with cream-cheese filling while watching Mrs. Lee open her going-away gifts. Too sad! What I didn't know is that her going to England was a necessary part of this story. For there, she discovered English handbells. Not that they weren't around, but she wrote in a letter to the church that it would be lovely to have these back home.

She did come back home, too. Flash forward several years to the Spring of 1977. The church hosted a handbell concert with a guest choir. [Pretty sure it was The Klokken Ringers, because their director, Betty Garee--lifetime handbell enthusiast, composer and arranger--later hooked up with our Bettye to go to a bell festival together.] Not sure how it happened, but my family attended the concert that afternoon. I remember very little about what the group played, but it was interesting to watch them. Fairly certain I was too shy to approach their table to even look at a bell up-close. It was not long after that concert that the Teen Tintinnabulators became a reality, with Mrs. Lee directing high school students from our church.

When the call came in to my house a year later, it was a little surprising. I had not even started high school, remember. But, Mrs. Lee was in a pickle. About half the Teen Tintinnabulators were heading off to college leaving quite a few openings for new ringers. She was seeking the newest crop of high-schoolers with the thought of training them under her remaining group--most of whom were rising seniors who would head out the door the following year. She was calling her former Junior Choir members, scouting out interest. My mom gave me the scoop. Nervously, I would give it a try. (And, the newspaper came a few rehearsals after that. It was kind of a novelty to have handbells in the county, back in the day.)


The arm motion has always been totally natural for me. 
I think 9 years of ballet lessons helped with that.


That first year left indelible marks. I not only learned to play, but learned so much of the behind-the-scenes. With each rehearsal, we were all involved in the regular set-up and clean-up of the bells, and their needed accessories. I had only sung in choruses before, and playing alongside others in a musical group was a completely different experience. With handbells, you handle your own part, but that part must fit seamlessly with everyone else's parts. Rehearsals were intense because musicality and professionalism were mandates. But I learned to appreciate being in a group and found a comfort level with people that I hadn't before experienced.

At the end of the season came my first multi-state handbell festival at the University of Orono in Maine.



At that time, handbell festivals lasted 3 or 4 days and were held in the summer on college campuses. We stayed in the dorms, ate in the cafeterias, and went to morning chapel and bell classes in between massed-ringing rehearsals and ensemble concerts. We performed two pieces at one of the ensemble concert venues--one of which was supposed to be "Variations on Chopstix," which got nixed fairly last-minute by Mrs. Lee in favor of a newer piece released by the festival's main conductor [Donald Allured]. No pressure switching out the fun crowd-pleaser for the more difficult composition in front of the big cheese himself! (Mr. Allured did complement us after our performance and told us to work on our triplets, to which Mrs. Lee responded with something like, "You see? I told you....") I also participated by choice in a music theory/bell composition class. It was out of my league at the time, but I still have the handouts....

I would continue to play through high school, eventually having two of my sisters join the group. My college, which had a music school, didn't have handbells, so there was a gap in playing regularly until life in a new state brought me back into the church--one with a handbell choir. From there, more festivals, solo-playing workshops, conducting and concerts led to a 7-year church choir directorship with more than 100 outreach performances and services--and lifetime friends. 

Now, I'm a two-choir gal with the most amazing collection of people playing.

The Prime Chimers of Meadow Glen
 

The Verena Ringers

Still schlepping, setting-up and tearing-down bells and assorted equipment; taking that music theory interest and applying it toward scoring parts for handbells, so more can play in more types of playing opportunities more easily (and it's on the computer, now, JuBELLees--thank you so much!); facilitating a group environment that allows everyone to participate and have fun while making great music (though I'll never be Bettye Lee). And, of course, still working on the skills of playing. 

Because bells are my instrument, and "measure" 36 is coming up....

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

On this Merry Christmas Night....

Merry Christmas, blog friends! I know you're wondering, "Did she finish painting her family room (finally....)??" (Nope!) * * * D oesn't this look like how our days are sometimes? Myriad things scattered about, unfinished. Trying to take a cozy, restful seat by the fire, but still that seat stays empty. We try to make things brighter, but the light strings don't quite have the power to make things clear for us. And we wonder how many coats it will take to cover up what had been there before, without splotches and unevenness. (Three may just be right--sigh....!) * * * We may have things unfinished. We may have "miscalculated" the use of our time. Or perhaps we were called away to other things for which we were needed, even if they weren't part of our plans. Even in our peaceful approach to Christmas, that seat of rest may be vacant. But the opportunity to "Be still...." doesn't always lie in a cozy sea

When I was 45....

I t was a very good year! (Yep, celebrating again! I hijacked my own blog--LOL!) The glass is half full, and things have never looked more browniful! Awesome day on tap.... sunshine, take-out barbecue for dinner, cake.... Thanks for celebrating with me! Enjoy.... ( Let it rise....One of my all-time favorite praise songs! )

Post #100

L ong before we bloggers celebrated our first 100 posts, the psalmists provided us with theirs. In recognition of my 100th, let's celebrate by looking at the Bible's "Post #100" (a.k.a., Psalm 100, A Psalm for Thanksgiving or Thank Offering): Make a joyful noise unto the LORD, all ye lands. Surprisingly, there is no direct Hebrew translation for the English word 'joyful' as used in this verse in the King James Version. That leaves things a bit open to interpretation. My study Bible (NASB) says 'joyful' is "a shout of loyalty and homage." The dictionary defines 'joy' with the word rejoicing, meaning "to be made glad again." 'Noise,' however, does come with a Hebrew equivalent, meaning "to split the ears with sound," as in to shout, shout for joy. Lands implies all the earth, the nations, the world. We, those of all nations, are to present to the Lord, out of our loyalty and homage to Him, joyful shouts that