Wednesday, November 5, 2008

On the Trail



A Journal Entry
By CJ

Cousins' Trip Through Rock State Park, Maryland
Photos by J.J.W. and K.O.W.


We pass an alligator. Lots of us hold up his mouth.




We walk through trees and on rocks. It's like walking through an Indian graveyard.




My knee joints get tired as we walk through every obstacle in our path.


We step over leaves to find a jungle gym of rocks. We walk into a crack and hoist ourselves up onto a rock that could easily send us flying into Death Valley, with only a jacket for a parachute.





Then we walk into another crack that leads us up to the King and Queen seat. It's too crowded, so we head up a crack to the Death Valley ledge again.




Then we get off, only to find a cave. Where does it lead?




Two of us go in the cave. We find a risky path that leads back to Death Valley Ledge.




I don't go, but my cousin takes a risk and survives.

We later go to a safer ledge to get our picture taken.





We say goodbye to the jungle gym and walk back down the winding rock staircase that leads to our car. As I run down it, I say to myself, What a short hike!

What if there was another trail....?





* * *

This is actually the "before" shot.
We were not all as energetic as this on the way down!

But, I felt the same way CJ did about the yearning to hit another trail sometime.
Awesome scenery and great exercise!

(Maybe next time without RJ2 pulling me down the trail....)

9 comments:

The Patterson 5 said...

Oh we love fun hikes! The scenery looks oh so beautiful! What an adventure! Thanks for bringing us along!

Twins plus one... said...

Looks like you guys had a great time! I love cool fall days with beautiful scenery...it's the perfect backdrop for a hike and time well spent with family! Gorgeous pictures! :)

Bonita said...

You are a brave woman! I like hiking, but heights are another story. Our family went on a hike a few weeks ago and I wanted to take the low trail, but my family was all about the high one. I ran out of steam before we got to the top. I think that was a blessing!

Glad you all had a safe and fun time.

Truth4thejourney said...

Great pictures! I love going on adventures with my family!

God's world is so beautiful. We are blessed to be able to enjoy it. :)

Love,
Sonya

KelliGirl said...

Sue,
Wonderful! What a great hike. It looked like lots of fun. Those are the memories the kids will remember!

Blessings,
Kelli

Edie said...

I just loved this adventureous outing! I used to go hiking as a kid when I lived in CA where there are actual mountains.

"We walk into a crack and hoist ourselves up onto a rock that could easily send us flying into Death Valley, with only a jacket for a parachute."
Forgive me but .... WAHAHAHAHA!!!

I'm so glad you all made it back to safety. Thank you so much for sharing this with us. :D

cj said...

I forgive you. Even though it is scarier then it sounds.

Chatty Kelly said...

Great trip! Good job CJ & Sue J!

cj said...

Thanks!