"Mom, when are you going to write about THE BEACH????"
It's not easy to write about THE BEACH because it's such a personal family experience. Oh, sure, lots of folks go to the beach--even the same beach! We actually met Chatty Kelly and her girls at a local ice cream shop while we were there. And Mrs. Patterson 5 was at Jockeys Ridge, where a few of our family members took their kites for flights. Bonita and Sonya went to different beaches. Edie wishes she could go to the beach. But, beyond that, how can another embrace THE BEACH the same way as our clan?
We don't just eat, we give the kids control of the kitchen! This year, every kid had the chance to create a meal "experience." We had...
- Dinner at a Carnival (with corn dogs and funnel cakes);
- a Breakfast Bonanza with the "Do you like waffles?" theme song;
- a "Star Wars" breakfast, with "Ham Solo" and "Vader Tatters";
- a Jungle dinner with vine pie (spaghetti pie);
- a Pokemon lunch with Pokemon bowling (note specially designed bottle "pin" below on counter);
- a Beach breakfast with bacon waves and South Beach cereal;
- French beach (La Plage) lunch with French toast and French vanilla ice cream;
- the Shopping lunch (take your bagged lunch to the crab-fishing "hole") with a game of "Price is Right" thrown in for fun;
- And, a Princess breakfast! (You've just gotta have a Princess breakfast when you have a Princess!)
Who would understand giving away raffle prizes on their beach vacation? And who would get so excited about receiving a Jell-O beach bucket raffle prize that it would lead half the family to become engrossed in making Jell-O and Dream Whip instead of basking in the sun?
Or doing....what's that?....CRAFT PROJECTS??!
We sleep well, not because of the sound of the surf but because of our sleep masks.
We have the Washington Post delivered special every day so we can...
...do the crossword puzzle. (And, by the time it circles through all family members, it IS done!)
We aren't afraid to show our shoe closet to the public.
We spend a lot of time in trees. (Monkeys are Funny)
We even offered specialty classes this year, to help live your life on purpose:
How to Walk Your Dog and Be Cool Doing It
Perfect Turrets: Within Your Grasp
And, Splash Dance: What a Feeling!
No, I just can't imagine that anyone would understand the enjoyment of THE BEACH as we know it, D#1. But, you know, it's not really about the beach anyway.
And, next year, someone remind me to sign up for the "Give Your Camera to a Brother-in-Law or Husband" or "Tripods Make Your Shoulders Look Less Broad in Self-Triggered Photos" class.
(And thanks to my favorite bloggy friends--links to some great places!)